Website City of Racine - Forestry Division
This job description is designed to describe skilled manual work in the care and maintenance of City trees and shrubs. The work includes the pruning, repairing, spraying/injecting, and removal of trees; the preparation and planting of new trees; and the maintenance and operation of related equipment. Work is performed on public trees located along streets, in parks, and on other city property. All work is performed in a safe and controlled manner in accordance with established industry Best Management Practices and ANSI Z133.1 Safety Standards. This position reports to the City Forester.
EXAMPLE OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Prune trees from the ground, with rope and saddle, and aerial trucks using hand and power tools.
- Perform technical tree removals from the ground, with a rope and saddle, and aerial trucks using hand and power tools.
- Prepare and plant new trees along streets, in parks, and other city property.
- Apply various pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers to trees and shrubs.
- Conduct inspections to identify: tree removal candidates, necessary pruning, insect/disease infestations, tree injuries, and other related arboricultural work.
- Safely operate and provide basic maintenance of assigned vehicles such as brush chippers, chip trucks, aerial lifts, log trucks, dump trucks, skid steers, backhoe, front end loader, stump grinder, and other related equipment used in tree care operations. Maintain hand tools, chain saws and related equipment.
- Safely operate and provide basic maintenance of snow removal equipment such as a snow plow, snow blower, shovel, skid steer and utility work machines.
- Provide information to the public concerning tree care and related activities.
- Work as part of a team which may include acting as a crew leader and/or overseeing and directing on-the-job training for students, seasonal, and new employees.
- Be available and subject to call during emergency and storm situations and snow and ice removal.
- Perform related work as required.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Good knowledge of the methods, tools, and equipment used in arboriculture and horticulture; good knowledge of plant material common to urban forestry; ability to identify common tree and landscape plant species, and signs and symptoms of insects and diseases; considerable knowledge of the occupational hazards and safe work practices in using tools and equipment; ability to do manual work requiring strength and agility; skill in pruning, removing, repairing, and planting trees; ability to understand and effectively carry out both oral and written instructions with a minimum of direct supervision; good written communication skills and the ability to document daily activity reports; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, employees, and the public; ability to maintain a consistent and reliable attendance record.
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Forestry or Arboriculture desirable; OR an Associate Degree in Urban Forestry or Arboriculture and at least one year of recent paid Arborist work experience; OR high school graduate/equivalent and at least three years of recent paid work experience in arboriculture or urban forestry performing comparable duties; OR successful completion of the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development Arborist Apprenticeship Program
- Possession of a valid Wisconsin Driver’s License and good driving record per City policy.
- Possession of a valid Class A Wisconsin Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with air brakes and tanker (N) endorsement; or the ability to obtain during the one-year probation period.
- Possession of CPR and First Aid Certification; or the ability to obtain during the one-year probation period.
- Possession of WDATCP pesticide category 3.0 Turf & Landscape pesticide license; or the ability to obtain during the one-year probation period.
- Possession of International Society of Arboriculture Tree Worker or Certified Arborist Certification; or the ability to obtain during the one-year probation period.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, overtime and at odd hours when emergency conditions require such duty.
- Ability to withstand exposure to variable and unfavorable weather and working conditions including but not limited to temperature variations and extremes, odors, toxic agents, noise, vibrations, electrical current, vehicular traffic and/or dust.
- Possess the physical capacity to perform heavy manual labor for extended periods of time, including but not limited to, the ability to climb trees (lifting body weight and equipment using rope and saddle) working at heights up to 60 feet or greater above ground level, the ability to continuously reach and maneuver overhead while holding the weight of pole saws or hand saw, stand, walk, bend, kneel, sit, twist, stoop, crawl, stretch, squat, lift, push, pull, enter and exit vehicles, etc.
Typical Hiring Range: $49,420.80-$52,228.80
Full Salary Range: $49,420.80-$63,502.40
For additional information or to apply visit: https://cityofracine.org/jobs/
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org