City of Madison
The City of Madison Streets Division is looking to hire four (4) new Arborists! The successful candidates will be responsible for skilled manual work involving the care and maintenance of City trees within proper safety guidelines. The work includes pruning, repairing, insect/disease pesticide treatment and the removal of trees; the preparation and planting of new trees; and the maintenance of related equipment. Work is performed under the general leadership of an Arborist 2 with overall supervision received from forestry foreperson.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
Prune and remove trees in the public right of way and on other City properties and perform other related tasks in conjunction with the care and treatment of city trees.
- Provide information to the public concerning tree pruning and related tree care activities.
- Prune small trees from the ground using a pole saw, hand pruner or pole pruner.
- Ascend trees using ladders, rope and saddle, or other methods.
- Prune or cut branches using chain saws, handsaws or other equipment.
- Perform tree maintenance with an aerial tower or rope and saddle.
- Operate brush chippers, large log hauling trucks, and pull trailers.
- Perform related work as required.
Conduct related inspections and identify and treat diseases, tree injuries and infestations
- Prune and remove decayed, diseased and infested tree parts.
- Prune and/or repair trees damaged by vehicles and storms.
- Apply pesticides for insect or disease issues.
Operate, perform related safety checks, and assist in the maintenance of aerial towers, assigned vehicles, chain saws and other equipment.
- Operate, perform safety checks and assist in the maintenance of aerial towers, assigned vehicles, chain saws, and other equipment.
Pickup, prepare and plant new trees in the public right of way, parks and other city owned properties.
- Operate auger, bobcat, toolcat, forklift, tractor, dump truck and other related tree planting equipment.
- Use shovels, steel t-posts, rakes to plant trees.
- Water newly planted trees.
Snow removal in public right of way properties.
- Operate snow removal equipment such as snow plow, snow blower, shovel, bobcat, and toolcat.
- Two (2) years of responsible experience in tree pruning and related tree care activities which involved significant experience in operating specialized tree trimming/pruning equipment, including climbing with ropes and saddles.
If an applicant does not possess the specific requirements outlined above, HR will review the application materials to determine if the applicant possesses the following equivalent experience:
Two (2) years applying the following:
- Tree identification, tree care and the methods, techniques and equipment used in pruning, spraying, application of pesticides, planting, and removal of trees.
- Precautions and equipment necessary to perform the work safely which includes knots and rigging.
Familiarity with the following:
- Tree insects and diseases.
- Computers and computer software applicable to the duties of the position.
Possession of a valid Class B Wisconsin Commercial Driver’s License with tanker endorsement. The successful candidate must have passed the written portion of the relevant Department of Transportation testing process before starting employment. A condition of continued employment is passage of the skills portion of the test and obtaining the required operator’s license by the end of the six month probationary/trial period.
Required to obtain and maintain Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade, Consumer and Protection pesticide certification in Category 3.0 by the end of the six month probationary/trial period.
Certification in CPR and first aid or the ability to obtain certification within the probation/trial period. Failure to obtain all certifications within the probation/trial period will result in the employee not passing probation/trial period, absent extenuating circumstances.
Ability to successfully complete a forty hour work week. Ability to lift 50 pounds individually. Ability to push, pull, and maneuver up to 250 lbs. working with others. Ability to effectively communicate clearly. Must be able to climb trees for extended periods of time. Ability to work in adverse weather conditions. Ability to work on uneven terrain. Must be able to work nights and weekends as needed for emergency response.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com