May 1 @ 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Cost: $199 per registrant
E-Learning Module: This is a self-paced online training which means you can take the course when your schedule allows. Once purchased, you will have 30 days to complete the course.
Chainsaws are one of the most common hand-held power tools among all industries. This course is designed to educate workers who use a chainsaw about proper risk assessment, PPE use, chainsaw safety features, maintenance, use, and handling. Participants will gain an understanding of chainsaw reactive forces and hazards associated with felling trees and cutting wood or brush. Learn planning strategies including saw transport, starting, cross cutting/bucking and limbing, understanding compression and tension, and dealing with spring poles. These strategies will be demonstrated in a safe, online learning environment.
This course is delivered in 4 separate modules and must be completed in sequential order:Module 1: Chainsaw Safety
- Introduction to the course and learning objectives
- A review of arboricultural industry incidents with an emphasis on chainsaw use
- OSHA/ANSI/NFPA Standards: Regulations & Safe Guards
- Basic and recommended personal protective equipment
- Work site and emergency planning
Module 2: Basic Chainsaw Use
- Ergonomic saw use and handling
- Non-felling work procedures and storm clean up
- Limbing and bucking
Module 3: Felling
- Six-step felling plan
Module 4: Chainsaw Care
- Basic filed maintenance
- Chain sharpening
- Fuels and lubricants
Note: You must review and complete all training modules to receive a NATS Certificate of Attendance for this course.