In order to recertify every three (3) years, you must obtain the required amount of CEUs and pay a recertification fee. The number of CEUs required depends upon the credential you hold:
- ISA Certified Arborist: 30 CEUs
- ISA Certified Arborist Utility Specialist: 6 Utility CEUs + 30 Arborist CEUs = 36 total
- ISA Certified Arborist Municipal Specialist: 12 Municipal CEUs + 30 Arborist CEUs = 42 total
- ISA Certified Tree Worker/Climber Specialist: 15 CEUs
- ISA Certified Tree Worker/Aerial Lift Specialist: 15 CEUs
- ISA Board Certified Master Arborist: 60 CEUs; 20 each in Science, Practice, and Management
Your renewal date will be on June 30 or December 31, depending on the date of your original certification exam. Notification of your renewal date will be mailed one month in advance directly from ISA. Please make sure your contact information is current to ensure delivery of any mailed notices.
Tracking Your CEUs
ISA will track how many CEUs you have and how many you need for renewal. However, CEUs may take four to six weeks to be recorded. In addition, you should always keep records of your CEUs. Check your CEUs at the ISA website.
If you lack CEUs six months from your expiration date, ISA will send you a postcard reminder to submit CEUs for recertification. If you have enough CEUs to recertify, you will instead receive a recertification invoice one month prior to your expiration date.
CEUs are offered through conferences, workshops and seminars presented by ISA and WAA. There are many other arboriculture resources through which CEUs can be earned. Other ways to acquire ISA CEUs include:
- In-House Training. Many companies and government agencies offer in-house training. Any educational topics pertaining to tree care and safety are eligible for CEUs. This may include safety meetings, CPR/First Aid, chainsaw safety, etc. Please contact the ISA to find out if your training opportunity qualifies.
- First Aid or CPR class. 4 CEUs each, once per certification period (every three years). A copy of your card is needed to earn the CEUs.
- ISA Publications Online Quizzes. CEUs for articles and quizzes in Arborist News and other ISA publications may be earned once per issue or edition.
- Teaching and Presentations. You may receive CEUs for conducting workshops, teaching classes, or making presentations. Please sign the CEU sheets in the room if you are presenting at any of the WAA events.
- ISA Workbooks, CDs, DVDs, and Videos. The ISA provides a variety of publications worth CEUs. Browse the ISA webstore for CEU products. The ISA’s Online Learning Center http://www.isa-arbor.com/store/onlinecourses.aspx?cid=119 has more than 30 courses available including the Introduction to Arboriculture series.
- Tree Climbing Championship Events. Climbers, judges, and technicians can be awarded up to 3 CEUs at ITCC and Chapter TCC events.
- College Courses. College courses based on arboriculture are worth 10 CEUs per credit hour and must be completed at an academically accredited 2 or 4-year institution with proof of passing grade.
Retaking the Exam
If you do not meet minimum CEU requirements and/or pay the renewal fee, you must retake the certification exam and pay appropriate fees to recertify. Be sure to include your previously assigned ISA Certification number on the application to ensure the number is reassigned to you.
Please go to http://www.isa-arbor.com/certification/maintainCredentials/index.aspx for more information about maintaining your ISA credentials.